Scribinia

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Next gen: Games to look out for.

Regardless of what console you're siding with, there are definitely interesting games coming out in the near future. Some look good, some look eh, and some look like their dragging the worst parts of the last generation with them.


Watch List:
These games have either been on my watch list or have jumped onto my radar after E3

Arma 3:

You haven't truly experienced an authentic FPS until you've joined a realism unit in the Arma community. The feeling of operating in a well organized FPS unit, following real life formations and strategy is unmatched by any other game. Along with these realism units is an intently dedicated modders, constantly putting out a stream of community content. Maps, weapons, graphics updates, vehicles, complete overhauls, you name it and the Arma community can make it. With the improves graphics, underwater aspect and tons of other features, Arma 3 looks like what everyone in the Arma community want and I couldn't be more excited for it.


Company of Heroes 2:
Company of Heroes, to me, is one of the all-time prime examples of a great RTS. I got the first Company of Heroes for free with my nVidia card years ago and hadn't bothered to play it for a few months. On one particularly boring day, I decided to throw it in and was immediately blown away. The most notable feature of Company of Heroes is how fluid and dynamic the individual characters on screen move. CoH doesn't feel like a classic RTS when two NPCs stand next to each other and attack until one is dead. Company of Heroes has characters diving behind cover, getting suppressed by machine gun fire and spreading out like an actual fighting unit would. Companies of Heroes 2 looks to be of the same quality but this time telling the story of the eastern front and the great struggle of World War 2.


Day Z: Standalone.
Last year, Dayz took the modding scene by storm, quickly garnering one of the largest mod fan followings to date, so much so that the sales for Arma 2: Combined Operations skyrocketed to the top of Steam charts. The reception of the Dayz mod naturally calls for a standalone version. While Arma 2 is a great game, the engine is somewhat lacking and the bugs leave much to be desired. Hopefully with the standalone the Dayz game will realize it's full potential.


Gran Turismo 6.
I'm not a particular fan of racing games, but I can certainly appreciate a good one. Gran Turismo was my first racing game and one of the first games I played on a console. Maybe I'm just nostalgic, but I'm hoping this one turns out for the better, I could use a quality racing game.


Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Solid Snake is back and fully bearded. Snake Eater was part of my gaming childhood. I grew up with characters like Snake and The Phantom Pain looks like it's going back to it's stealthy roots. No more hack and slash nonsense and that notion pleases me greatly.


The Witcher 3.
The Witcher series is among the greatest RPG series in existence. Anyone who disputes this is either ignorant, uninformed or both. The series is based off the works of Andrzej Sapkowski. Following the masterful Witcher 2, The Witcher 3 will conclude The Witcher ssaga in an open world, branching story with stunning graphics and compelling characters. I haven't been this excited for a title in a very long time.


Total War: Rome 2
Total War is my favorite strategy series. They don't have the best RTS elements and they don't have the best grand strategy elements, but put together make the Total Wars series something special. Rome: Total War was another game I grew up with. It changed the way I viewed strategy. The idea of being able to conquer the world without have to sacrifice a good RTS element was mind blowing to me back then. Rome Total War is often considered the best of the series and it's hard to tell (Shogun 2 was very good, as was Medieval) but the fact is that Rome 2 is coming to the PC and I'm looking forward to conquering the Mediterranean with the improves introduced in previous titles. Although some features like having to recruit from generals instead of towns has me a little cautious.




Might be cool:

I never liked jumping to conclusion(That's an absolute lie by the way) but these games have grabbed my attention, whether through their gameplay or trailer.

Dues Ex: The Fall
I was excited to hear that the Dues Ex series was releasing another game. Human Revolution had a good story, good game play and pretty good graphics, though I wish they would have toned down the green overlay. The game is being developed by Square Enix meaning it will either be hit or miss and with recent releases I have my doubts.

Infamous: Second Son.
As I said in a previous article, I never played Infamous but I heard it was exceptional. I'm not sure how the developer will handle a sequel and the main character looks rather obnoxious, but it looks solid and I look forward to getting more information.


No comments:

Post a Comment

NetworkedBlogs